Grand March is an opening ceremony for prom in which couples or groups walk a "runway" to build excitement and let everyone see them all dressed up for the big dance. Think of it as a fashion show, or the introduction of the wedding party at a reception. This traditional march is the perfect opportunity for friends, family, teachers and school staff to share the prom experience with you! Here are some tips and décor ideas to get everyone pumped for this pre-prom celebration.
- Host this event several hours before the dance so students and families don’t feel rushed
- Hold the Grand March at the school, your prom venue or a local park
- Advertise the march with banners, posters, flyers, the school website and social media
- Sell tickets for the ceremony to help raise money for next year’s prom
- Make a sign-up sheet so you have an accurate list of students/couples who would like to participate
- Ask a classmate, teacher or parent to be the emcee for the Grand March so they can announce couples and groups
- Decorate for the Grand March based on your prom theme
- Backdrop - Set the scene at the Grand March by making a background out of fabric, curtains or flat paper. Depending on the rest of your décor, you may want to keep this simple.
- Ceiling - Try decorating the ceiling with on-theme hanging décor: paper lanterns, chandeliers, fabric, garland and string lights. Generally, less is more; if it doesn’t add to the ambience, then don’t worry about it.
- Entrance - Every Grand March needs a grand entrance! An arch is an excellent choice here. Go with one that fits your theme and that can be personalized! You could also create a balloon arch or use a fabric arch.
- Walkway - Create a walking path by lining it with short columns or lamp posts, lanterns with LED candles, or rope railings. For a regal look, add an aisle runner.
- Surrounding Areas - In the peripheral areas, depending on the size of your venue and stage, you may scatter other complementary props and décor. Consider using balloons, standees, trees, flowers, greenery, paper and other large party props that are on-theme. Just be sure the audience can see you and your friends.