Prom is a big day, and you want to make sure it’s on-trend. So, what’s "in" for 2018? Check out these ideas!
1. Candy Buffets
Trade the traditional "punch and cookies" for a full line-up of yummy candies. There are three keys to making sure your candy buffet is sweet as can be:
- Presentation – Lay the foundation with a fabric table cover. Then, use stands and pedestals of various heights to create dimension. A variety of jars, bowls and dishes can be used to showcase your candies.
- Color – To create an eye-catching buffet, you need candy that pops! The colors can match your theme, be the same or be every hue of the rainbow. Go all out with gumballs, sixlets, lollipops and Hershey’s® chocolates for whatever color scheme you choose.
- Personalized packaging – Customize your candy bags and wrappers with your school name, prom tagline and the date. Choose a design that fits your theme, or make your own.
2. Swag Bags
You and your classmates love free stuff, right? Make your favors swag bags this year! These are full of a variety of items so there’s something for everyone. Pack one with on-theme goodies like key chains, picture frames, mints, tumblers and sunglasses. Some local businesses wanting to reach teens may also be willing to donate more treats. Ask ahead of time and give them a rough headcount.
3. Photo Booths
Of course you need the traditional photographer to take a lovely shot of you and your date, but take it to the next level with a photo booth! Your classmates love snapping selfies and posing for fun photos. Here’s how to make an Instagram-worthy photo station in seconds:
- Backdrop – Quickly set the scene with a background illustration, flat paper, fabric or curtain. If you plan to add embellishments to the booth, keep this simple. You could also purchase a personalized, themed background for easy set-up.
- Decorations – Add dimension with standees, balloons, paper fans, flowers and tissue poms. Make them coordinate with your theme and colors. Be careful not to overdo it, though; you want there to be room for friends!
- Props – Get fun signs or objects to hold up while taking pics: lips, top hats, sunglasses, sayings, mustaches and the like. A simple prop might be a large picture frame for students to hold up as if they’re the picture inside.
4. Metallic Decor
Metallic decorations are all the rage this year! Use them in every area for a little sparkle:
- Tables – Get plates, cups, napkins and even eating utensils with some sheen! To decorate the table, use metallic centerpieces such as lanterns and votive holders.
- Fabric décor and backdrops – You can easily use shimmering fabrics on walls, the ceiling, tables and photo booth backgrounds. The more glitter the better!
- Hanging decorations – Do-up the ceiling with metallic garland, paper fans and chandeliers. This touch is sure to "wow" your guests.
- Large props – Decorate around the perimeter of the dance floor with sparkling standees, columns and items like masks and Eiffel Towers to match your motif.
- Other embellishments – Even things like shiny balloons and lights can be scattered about for a chic and classy look.
5. Snapchat Filters
Sure, the filters on Snapchat are cool, but having your very own is even better! Send all your friends and family members snaps from prom with a personalized filter. This is the perfect way to let everyone know you’re having an awesome time at the big dance.
6. Decorating with Letters/Numbers
Using letters, numbers and symbols in your décor is sure to be a S-U-C-C-E-S-S. You can spell things like "PROM 2018", "#PROMNIGHT" or something that fits your theme like "PARIS". There are so many ways to express yourself:
- Balloons – Letter megaloons in gold, silver or rose gold can float in a focal point area or be hung as part of your photo booth background.
- Standees – With so many colors and styles available, these free-standing figures are perfect for photo ops.
- Light-Up Letters – Marque letters are great for a rustic motif, or you could use a light box to spell something like "Grab a Prop" at the photo prop table.